29 November 2010

Futile to fertile

By Quentin Whitford

Parched and weary, the soil resists me;
the wind is raw, the cracks invade.
Barren, drained, desperate, yearning,
the seed destroyed, a darkened stain.

Incessant thorns, ankles bleeding;
bent and low, the blunted plough.
Wretched root, my heart deceives me;
perpetual toil, I must prevail.

Yoke consumes me, burden bleeding;
in vain I strive to no avail.
Resistant stone, my tissue failing;
affliction breaks the feeble bone.

Collapsing, failing: the ash receives me,
Broken, wasted, hopeless heap.
Crushed, defeated, empty, dying,
I cry, “Oh Master, I’m too weak.”

My eyes grow dim, my breath evades me,
my body still, lifeless and cold.
Awaiting death, I sense a shifting:
horizon fills with brimming cloud.

A distant rumble, a flash of light;
a rushing torrent consumes my soul.
My Master finds me, removes the bindings,
and places me on the solid stone.

A cup is placed to ruined lips:
a cleansing stream, a quenching flood.
Seed enriched, restored, revived
to gain life’s root, where once was death.

The field He sowed, the weeds cast out;
new beauty, fruit and bounty.
By His grace the harvest waits,
a scythe He places in my hand.

Without His power, His hand, His will,
I struggle and I toil in vain.
He alone will nourish the seed,
and He alone be praised.

No comments: